A prominent member of the FC Porto side that scooped a hat-trick of major trophies in 2010/11 and won the Liga again the following campaign, Rolando is a dependable central defender who has made intermittent appearances for Portugal since his debut in 2009. An unused squad member at the 2010 FIFA World Cup, he started two UEFA EURO 2012 qualifiers.
• Born in Cape Verde, he moved to mainland Portugal aged 15 and played youth football for SC Campomaiorense before signing professionally at CF Os Belenenses; scored on his Liga debut in August 2004 against CS Marítimo.
• Racked up 97 top-flight appearances for Belenenses (seven goals) over four seasons, starting all 30 games under coach Jorge Jesus in 2007/08; reached the cup final in 2006/07 but lost 1-0 to city rivals Sporting Clube de Portugal.
• Joined Porto on four-year contract in 2008 and established himself as Bruno Alves's regular central defensive partner, starting all ten UEFA Champions League fixtures and scoring an important goal in a 2-1 group stage win at FC Dynamo Kyiv on matchday four.
• Won his first cap for Portugal in a February 2009 friendly against Finland but had just 46 minutes of action in 2010 FIFA World Cup qualifying.
• Responsible for some important cup goals in 2010/11 − he opened the scoring in Porto's 2-0 domestic super cup triumph against SL Benfica, repeated the feat in the UEFA Europa League round of 32 first leg at Sevilla FC and was on target in a 6-2 Portuguese Cup final defeat of Vitória SC, which completed a treble for the Dragons.
UEFA Europa League: winner 2011
©UEFA.com 1998-2014. All rights reserved.