Clubs: Real Madrid CF, RC Deportivo La Coruña, Liverpool FC, Real Madrid CF
• Unable to break into the Galácticos side upon being promoted to the first-team squad, he returned to nursery club Real Madrid Castilla in 2005/06 before leaving for Deportivo, where he played regularly until Liverpool lured him to Anfield in January 2007.
• His first Liverpool start came in the UEFA Champions League away to FC Barcelona, marking Lionel Messi; made three more starts in the competition before his late introduction in the final against AC Milan. A runner-up in the 2008/09 Premier League, he left Merseyside to rejoin Madrid after 98 appearances, including 26 in Europe, for the Reds.
• Made his Spain debut in March 2008 against Italy and played once in La Roja's triumphant UEFA European Championship campaign that summer − in the group stage versus Greece – and was ever present at right-back in Poland and Ukraine four years later.
• Quickly established himself as a Madrid regular, making 30 Liga appearances in his first campaign back at the club, 2009/10, and 26 in each of the next two; featured once, as a substitute against Honduras, during Spain's victorious 2010 FIFA World Cup campaign in South Africa.
• Won the first league title of his career when helping Madrid capture the 2011/12 Liga crown. Having been a runner-up in 2007, he collected a UEFA Champions League winners' medal seven years later, although he started only four times during the campaign and was an unused substitute for the Lisbon final against Club Atlético de Madrid.
UEFA European Championship: winner 2008, 2012
UEFA Champions League: runner-up 2007; winner 2014
©UEFA.com 1998-2014. All rights reserved.