Clubs: CA River Plate, Real Madrid CF
• Born in the French town of Brest while his father Jorge, an Argentinian professional, was playing for local club Stade Brestois 29. His older brother, Federico, is also a footballer and had a brief spell at Beşiktaş JK in 2007/08.
• Repatriated before his first birthday to Argentina, he boosted his profile significantly by scoring twice for River Plate in a famous 3-1 win against Buenos Aires rivals CA Boca Juniors in October 2006.
• Called up to represent France the following month, he declined the offer, preferring to play international football for Argentina; did not make his senior debut until the penultimate 2010 FIFA World Cup qualifier, scoring in a 2-1 defeat of Peru in October 2009.
• Joined Madrid in the 2006/07 winter break for a reported €13m, making his debut against Real Zaragoza on 14 January 2007 and hitting his first goal in the derby against Club Atlético de Madrid the following month.
• League winner with Madrid in 2006/07 and 2007/08, striking title-clinching goal against CA Osasuna in the latter; club's 22-goal top marksman in the 2008/09 Liga.
• Finished 2009/10 as the Liga's second highest scorer, seven behind 34-goal Lionel Messi; signed a new three-year deal with Los Merengues in June 2010, keeping him at the club until summer 2016.
©UEFA.com 1998-2013. All rights reserved.