Clubs: FC Metz, Olympique Lyonnais
• An exciting young midfield talent, Pjanić was born in Bosnia and Herzegovina but brought up in Luxembourg, where his footballer father found work; joined Metz's academy across the border in France and made his first-team debut in August 2007 in a goalless draw against Paris Saint-Germain FC.
• Before committing himself to a senior international career with Bosnia and Herzegovina, he played, and scored, for hosts Luxembourg at the 2005 UEFA European Under-17 Championship.
• Struck four goals in 32 Ligue 1 appearances in 2007/08 and helped Metz into the Coupe de France quarter-finals but he was unable to prevent his side's relegation to Ligue 2.
• Joined Lyon on a five-year contract in June 2008 and was used mostly as a substitute in his first season but claimed a regular berth in the starting XI in 2009/10 following Juninho Pernambucano's departure, taking the Brazilian's No8 shirt.
• Scored his first Lyon goal in the 2009/10 UEFA Champions League play-off tie against RSC Anderlecht and was on target against Real Madrid CF with the crucial away goal that took Lyon into the quarter-finals.
• Made his debut for Bosnia and Herzegovina in August 2008 in a friendly with Bulgaria and helped his country reach the 2010 FIFA World Cup play-offs, making ten appearances, eight of them from the substitutes' bench.
©UEFA.com 1998-2013. All rights reserved.