Clubs: FC Barcelona
• On Barça's books since the age of 12, he played in all but one of 38 games in the club's 2004/05 title-winning season, albeit 25 as a substitute.
• Stood in for the injured Xavi as Barça retained the Liga and won the UEFA Champions League in 2005/06, making an influential appearance as a half-time substitute in the Paris final against Arsenal FC.
• First capped for the senior side on the eve of the 2006 FIFA World Cup; made just one appearance at the finals, against Saudi Arabia, but played in 11 of 12 UEFA EURO 2008 qualifiers, scoring three goals, and was on top form as well as being ever-present at the finals.
• Struck a dramatic added-time equaliser at Chelsea FC that took his team through to the 2009 UEFA Champions League final against Manchester United FC, who he also helped Barcelona defeat two years later in the showpiece at Wembley.
• Suffered an injury-interrupted 2009/10 campaign but nonetheless helped Barcelona to the Liga title with a record 99 points; retained the championship the following season, scoring a career-best eight league goals.
• Scored twice at the 2010 World Cup, including an extra-time winner against the Netherlands in the final, and was subsequently voted into the tournament's All-Star Team.
• Helped Barcelona to the FIFA Club World Cup and Copa del Rey in 2011/12 and took his goal tally for Spain to double figures in friendlies against Chile and Venezuela; won the Best Player of the Tournament in Poland and Ukraine as Spain retained their European title.
UEFA European Championship: winner 2008, 2012
UEFA EURO 2008: Team of the Tournament
UEFA EURO 2012: Team of the Tournament, Player of the Tournament
UEFA Champions League: winner 2006, 2009, 2011
UEFA Super Cup: winner 2009, 2011
UEFA European Under-19 Championship: winner 2002
UEFA European Under-16 Championship: winner 2001
UEFA.com users' Team of the Year: 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012
©UEFA.com 1998-2015. All rights reserved.