Clubs: AS Monaco FC, LOSC Lille Métropole, Olympique Lyonnais, FC Barcelona
• Born in Lyon, he made his debut in the French top flight for Monaco in September 2000; headed north to join Lille in 2002 and made 62 league appearances over the next two seasons.
• Left Lille in 2004 to join Lyon and made his debut for France that same summer in Raymond Domenech's first game in charge (1-1 against Bosnia and Herzegovina).
• Played no part in 2006 FIFA World Cup qualifying but started six of France's seven matches at the finals, where Les Bleus lost in the showpiece to Italy on penalties; was also a regular at UEFA EURO 2008.
• Won Ligue 1 in each of his three seasons at Lyon, making 76 appearances, before joining Barcelona for €15m in June 2007.
• Helped Barça to the treble in 2008/09 but missed the UEFA Champions League and Copa del Rey showpieces through suspension.
• Returned from a liver tumour, diagnosed the previous month, in time for a late appearance in the 2011 UEFA Champions League semi-final second leg against Real Madrid CF; though not captain for the final, he was the first Barcelona player to lift the trophy at Wembley after victory against Manchester United FC.
UEFA Champions League: winner 2011
UEFA Super Cup: winner 2009, 2011
UEFA.com users' Team of the Year: 2007
©UEFA.com 1998-2016. All rights reserved.