A pacy, penetrative Brazilian-born striker, Claudemir Jerônimo Barreto, aka Cacau, has spent all his professional career in Germany and was granted both German citizenship and his first caps for the Nationalmannschaft in 2009. A VfB Stuttgart player since 2003, he helped the Swabian club to the Bundesliga title in 2006/07.
• Left Brazil for Germany aged 18, where he first played fifth-tier football for Türk Gücü München before joining 1. FC Nürnberg in 2001.
• Moved from Nürnberg's amateur side to the senior team, scoring Bundesliga doubles against Bayer 04 Leverkusen, Stuttgart and 1. FC Köln, but added just two further goals in 2002/03 as the club were relegated.
• Joined Stuttgart in summer 2003, having agreed the transfer six months earlier; scored 13 times in the title-winning 2006/07 campaign and also four times in the German Cup but was sent off in the final, which Stuttgart lost 3-2 in extra time to Nürnberg.
• Obtained German citizenship in February 2009 and made his international debut against China in a Shanghai friendly three months later; his first competitive start came in the final 2010 FIFA World Cup qualifier at home to Finland.
• Selected for the World Cup after scoring 13 Bundesliga goals in 2009/10; on target once in four outings in South Africa, in a 4-0 group stage win against Australia.
©UEFA.com 1998-2016. All rights reserved.