A wholehearted right-back with tremendous stamina, Giorgios Galitsios joined Olympiacos FC in 2008 after displaying consistent form over several seasons for provincial Greek club Larissa FC. He became a first-team regular for the Piraeus club during the 2009/10 season.
• Born in Larissa, he joined his local club and made a positive impact in his first Super League campaign, 2005/06, appearing in 27 of the team's 30 matches, helping them finish eighth a season after promotion.
• Won Greek Cup with Larissa in 2007, playing full 90 minutes of the final, a 2-1 victory over Panathinaikos FC; also capped by Greece at Under-21 level.
• Scored first league goal on 7 October 2007 in Larissa's 3-3 home draw with Levadiakos FC; followed it with another against Panathinaikos the following month; ever-present in club's six-game UEFA Cup run, which included elimination of Blackburn Rovers FC.
• Left Larissa for Olympiacos at end of 2007/08 campaign with 80 top-flight appearances but experienced little playing time in first season as Piraeus club completed league and cup double.
• Achieved breakthrough in 2009/10, starting Olympiacos's last three UEFA Champions League group games and also being summoned to the Greek national team for the first time.
Did you know?
Galitsios's father, Giannis, also played for Larissa and was a key defender in the team that won the championship in 1987/88.
©UEFA.com 1998-2017. All rights reserved.