The official website for European football

Super six sends Czechs through

Published: Tuesday 19 October 2004, 11.05CET
A 6-0 win in their final game saw Southern Moravia Amateur win UEFA Regions' Cup qualifying Group 4.
Published: Tuesday 19 October 2004, 11.05CET

Super six sends Czechs through

A 6-0 win in their final game saw Southern Moravia Amateur win UEFA Regions' Cup qualifying Group 4.
A 6-0 win in their final game saw Southern Moravia Amateur win UEFA Regions' Cup qualifying Group 4 on goal difference.

Pechal goal
The tournament hosts produced an outstanding performance to overwhelm the Netherlands' District Zuid 1 Amateur. Ladislav Pechal opened the scoring with a superb goal after 16 minutes but it was not until the second half that the Czechs pressed their advantage.

Quick hat-trick
Petr Malata scored a hat-trick in 13 minutes in his first game of the tournament midway through the second half, with goals from Frantisek Furch and Martin Zlamal completing the rout in added time. That saw them finish level on points but with a better goal difference than Sweden's Väsby IK.

Czech pride
"I am very happy that we won this match and qualified for the final tournament," Southern Moravia coach Petr Cuhel told "We have proved we are the best team at this mini-tournament and we look forward to the finals in June."

Väsby thwarted
Väsby could not hide their disappointment after being held to a 0-0 draw in their final game against Portalegre Amateur when a victory would have seen them through. "We were a better team and deserved to win, but luck was not on our side," said joint-head coach Michael Rosenberger.

Opening game
Any one of the four teams involved could have won the group on the final day after draws in three of the previous four games. Southern Moravia opened the tournament with a 1-1 draw against Väsby on a rain-soaked pitch in Postorna.

Flemström equaliser
The Czechs opened the scoring through a Lukás Vágner penalty after 21 minutes and could have gone 2-0 up but for a fine save by Väsby goalkeeper Aram Shahabi at the feet of Martin Sehnal. As it was, the Swedish side levelled the scores as Tommy Flemström stroked the ball past Jaroslav Flicek after 27 minutes.

Fair result
"I think we were very good in the first half," said Väsby's other coach Mikael Persson. "The result of the match is fair." His opposite number Cuhel added: "I supposed all the games would be very tough and I expected that the other game being played today could also end in a draw."

Goalless draw
He was right. Portalegre and Zuid 1 played out a goalless draw in Lanzhot, although the Dutch side were thankful to goalkeeper Joan van Belzen who saved a penalty from Pedro Ramos after 67 minutes.

Portalegre and Southern Moravia both posted their second draws of the tournament in Mikulov as the match between the two sides finished 1-1. The Czech team dominated the game but went behind to a Ricardo Ribiero penalty after 68 minutes. Vágner then missed a penalty at the other end but, after being awarded another spot-kick in added time, captain Michal Prachar made no mistake.

Lorentszon double
Meanwhile in Hustopece, Väsby put themselves in the driving seat to win the group with a 2-1 win against Zuid 1. Martin Lorentszon's early breakaway goal gave the Swedes the lead but they were pulled back before half-time as Ethmond Henriquez beat goalkeeper Christian Frealdsson. However, Lorentszon had the last word as he latched on to a cross from substitute Omar Malik to head the winner for Väsby after 78 minutes.

Last updated: 31/01/12 10.35CET

Related information

Team profiles

  • © 1998-2014 UEFA. All rights reserved.
  • The UEFA word and the UEFA Regions' Cup logo are protected by trade marks and/or copyright of UEFA. No use for commercial purposes may be made of such trade marks. Use of signifies your agreement to the Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy.