Date of birth: 3 February 1967
Playing career: Valkeakosken Haka, Dundee United FC, Aberdeen FC, Bolton Wanderers FC, Wolverhampton Wanderers FC, Hibernian FC (twice), RC Strasbourg, St Johnstone FC, St Mirren FC
Coaching career: Cowdenbeath FC, TPS Turku, Hibernian FC, Kilmarnock FC, Finland
• The son of Finnish international striker Matti Paatelainen, Mixu began his playing career at Haka in Valkeakoski before starting a long association with Scotland in 1987, joining Dundee United.
• A powerful striker who never considered himself as a target man despite being much used in the role, Paatelainen spent five years with United and two at Aberdeen before heading south to England in 1994, signing for Bolton.
• Helped the club to promotion to the Premier League and the English League Cup final in his first season. Although relegation followed a year later, Paatelainen won another promotion before leaving for a single season at Wolves in 1997/98.
• Returned to Scotland and Hibernian in 1998, breaking for a short and injury-plagued spell at Strasbourg in 2001/02. His last season of a playing career which included 18 goals in 70 appearances for Finland was at St Mirren in 2004/05, when he also worked as the club's assistant manager.
• Took charge of Cowdenbeath in 2005, winning the club's first league title in 67 years in his only full season. Also a success during a single campaign at TPS, in January 2008 he earned his first top-flight post at Hibernian. Left Easter Road in May 2009, returning to management at Kilmarnock before being appointed Finland coach in March 2011.
©UEFA.com 1998-2013. All rights reserved.
|UEFA Intertoto Cup|