Date of birth: 24 February 1948
Playing career: Dundee United FC (twice), Dumbarton FC
Coaching career: Rangers FC (twice), Everton, Scotland
• Former defender Smith assisted Jim McLean as Dundee United won the 1982/83 Scottish title and was Sir Alex Ferguson's deputy when Scotland reached the 1986 FIFA World Cup finals.
• Came home from Mexico to a new job as Graeme Souness's assistant at Rangers and was given sole command of the club he supported as a boy in April 1991, winning the Scottish title in each of his first seven seasons in charge, including a domestic treble in 1993.
• He managed Everton from summer 1998 until March 2002, then briefly assisted Sir Alex at Manchester United FC before becoming Scotland coach in December 2004.
• Having helped Scotland rise 70 places in the FIFA rankings, he returned to Rangers in January 2007, leading them to defeat by FC Zenit St. Petersburg in the 2007/08 UEFA Cup final. A league and Scottish Cup double followed in 2008/09 and the league title was retained the following season, when Rangers also added the League Cup.
• His haul over two spells at Rangers comprises nine league titles, five Scottish Cups and five Scottish League Cups.
©UEFA.com 1998-2013. All rights reserved.
|UEFA Champions League|
|UEFA Europa League|