Clubs: CD El Nacional, Villarreal CF, RC Recreativo de Huelva (loan), Wigan Athletic FC, Manchester United FC
• Came up through the youth ranks at Ecuadorian club Nacional, making sufficient progress in the first team to earn a transfer to Villarreal in 2005 aged 20; spent most of the 2005/06 season on loan at Recreativo, helping the team from southern Spain win promotion to the top flight.
• A double goalscorer on his international debut – in a 5-2 win against Paraguay – he starred for his country at 2006 FIFA World Cup, starting all four matches.
• That provoked interest from Wigan, who brought him to England initially on loan until he signed a permanent deal in January 2008; scored seven goals in 89 appearances during three seasons with the Latics before he moved to United in June 2009 for an undisclosed fee.
• Earned a regular place in United's starting XI – generally on the right wing; his first goal in the UEFA Champions League brought a crucial 1-0 win at PFC CSKA Moskva and his deflected shot in stoppage time rescued a point at home to the same opponents in a 3-3 draw a fortnight later.
• Had made two Premier League appearances in 2010/11 before he sustained a dislocated and fractured left ankle on UEFA Champions League Matchday 1 against Rangers FC; returned in mid-March with a string of strong performances in the run-in as United won the title.
• Claimed his second title with the Red Devils in 2012/13, scoring once in 29 Premier League appearances.
UEFA Champions League: runner-up 2011
©UEFA.com 1998-2014. All rights reserved.
|The home team is listed first.||Last updated: 06/10/2014 02:48 CET|
|15.06.2014||FIFA World Cup||Final tournament - Group stage||Switzerland||2-1||Ecuador||90||0||0|
|20.06.2014||FIFA World Cup||Final tournament - Group stage||Honduras||1-2||Ecuador||90||0||0|
|25.06.2014||FIFA World Cup||Final tournament - Group stage||Ecuador||0-0||France||50||0||0|
|24.08.2014||English Premier League||Sunderland||1-1||Man. United||90||0||0|
|30.08.2014||English Premier League||Burnley||0-0||Man. United||90||0||0|
|14.09.2014||English Premier League||Man. United||4-0||QPR||23||0||0|
|27.09.2014||English Premier League||Man. United||2-1||West Ham||16||0||0|
|05.10.2014||English Premier League||Man. United||2-1||Everton||79||0||0|
|UEFA Champions League|
|UEFA Europa League|