Groomed by VfB Stuttgart since the age of ten, German goalkeeper Sven Ulreich graduated to the first team of his local club in January 2008, making his Bundesliga debut shortly afterwards. Very tall and commanding in the air, he is the heir apparent to veteran Jens Lehmann.
• Born in Baden-Württemberg, he came through a succession of youth teams at Stuttgart; became national champion with the club at A-youth level in 2005.
• Career threatened by serious shoulder injury but returned after a year out to play for Stuttgart's amateur side, making regional league debut in March 2007.
• Conceded only 23 goals in 29 regional league games before graduating to first team; made Bundesliga debut against Hertha BSC Berlin on 9 February 2008 and added ten further appearances that season.
• Competed with Alexander Stolz for position as understudy to Lehmann following the former German international's arrival from Arsenal FC in 2008.
• Named official deputy to Lehmann by new Stuttgart coach Christian Gross after successfully standing in for the suspended No1 in three Bundesliga games straddling 2009/10 winter break, all of them victories.
Did you know?
Ulreich's debut for Germany Under-21s – against Iran on 12 August 2009 – was cut short just before half-time when he was sent off for a professional foul.
©UEFA.com 1998-2016. All rights reserved.
|UEFA Champions League|
|UEFA Europa League|