Clubs: FC Metz, Newcastle United FC
• Born in Paris to Cameroonian parents, Bassong graduated from the Clairefontaine youth academy and joined Metz in 2002, making his Ligue 1 debut three years later.
• Impressive displays for Metz earned him recognition for France Under-21s – he played two friendlies for Les Espoirs in summer 2008 – and a transfer to Newcastle.
• Unable to prevent Newcastle from suffering shock relegation from the Premier League in 2008/09 but performed with credit, winning the club's player of the year vote and remained in the top flight after joining Spurs for a reported €9.5m.
• Scored on his Premier League debut for Tottenham (2-1 at home to Liverpool FC) and also, a year later, on his European bow for the Londoners (3-2 defeat in UEFA Champions League play-off first leg v BSC Young Boys).
• Chose to pursue his international career with Cameroon rather than France, making his debut against Austria on 12 August 2009 and making two appearances at the FIFA World Cup finals in South Africa the following year.
©UEFA.com 1998-2015. All rights reserved.
|UEFA Champions League|
|UEFA Europa League|