Clubs: PSV Eindhoven (twice), MVV Maastricht (loan), Fortuna Sittard (loan), Aston Villa FC
• Started out as a left-winger, scoring freely while on loan from PSV to Limburg outfits MVV Maastricht and Fortuna Sittard.
• Back as a regular starter at PSV in 1999/2000, when he won the first of four titles in six seasons, scoring a career-best nine goals; converted into a left-back by coach Eric Gerets.
• Scored against Manchester United FC in his maiden UEFA Champions League campaign of 2000/01; spent six successive seasons in the competition, starting 30 matches in a row, but qualifying for the knockout phase only at the final attempt, in 2004/05, when PSV reached the semi-finals.
• His international breakthrough came at UEFA EURO 2004, where he played four games in central defence, scoring his first senior goal in a 3-2 defeat by the Czech Republic.
• Move to Aston Villa in 2005 and injury problems led to non-participation in the 2006 FIFA World Cup, but Marco van Basten reinstated him for UEFA EURO 2008 qualifying, where he was the team's regular left-back, and he went on to play twice at finals.
• Ever-present in the Premier League for Aston Villa in 2007/08 before an ankle dislocation sidelined him for the next two seasons; returned in 2010 to PSV, where he re-established his credentials in the Eredivisie and UEFA Europa League.
• Won the Dutch Cup in 2012 and earned a place in the Netherlands squad for UEFA EURO 2012, but failed to play in the Oranje's disappointing campaign.
©UEFA.com 1998-2014. All rights reserved.
|UEFA Champions League|
|UEFA Europa League|
|UEFA Intertoto Cup|