A Peruvian international, Juan Vargas has operated at left-back for much of his career but has recently moved into a more attacking midfield role. An excellent crosser of the ball and an asset at free-kicks, he has adapted well to life in Italy, playing consistently well for Calcio Catania and, since 2008, ACF Fiorentina.
• Began with top Peruvian outfit Club Universitario de Deportes, winning the Apertura title soon after joining their professional ranks.
• Left in 2004 for Argentina, joining CA Colón; played over 50 league games for Santa Fe club, drawing interest from Europe and establishing himself in Peruvian national team.
• Joined Catania in 2006 and enjoyed two excellent seasons with Sicilian club, especially the second in which he scored five league goals − including one against Fiorentina − to help team stay in Serie A. Also reached the semi-finals of the Coppa Italia.
• Signed five-year contract with Fiorentina in summer 2008, costing Viola €12m; featured regularly in starting XI, both in Serie A and UEFA Champions League and scored three goals in four league games in closing weeks of campaign.
• Scored winning penalty at home to Olympique Lyonnais (1-0) on Matchday 5 of 2009/10 UEFA Champions League; also opened scoring in 1-1 draw at Juventus in Serie A.
Did you know?
Vargas has played in 20 FIFA World Cup qualifiers for Peru – five in the 2006 competition, 15 in the 2010 event.
©UEFA.com 1998-2015. All rights reserved.
|The home team is listed first.||Last updated: 26/09/2015 02:33 CET|
|29.08.2015||Spanish Liga||Real Madrid||5-0||Betis||90||0||0|
|12.09.2015||Spanish Liga||Betis||1-0||Real Sociedad||90||0||0|
|UEFA Champions League|
|UEFA Europa League|