Clubs: Charlton Athletic FC, Norwich City FC (loan), Chelsea FC, Newcastle United FC, West Ham United FC, Tottenham Hostpur FC, Fulham FC
• Born in south London, he graduated from the Football Association School of Excellence at Lilleshall to begin his career with local club Charlton Athletic FC.
• Developed as a Premier League player with Charlton following a loan spell with Norwich City FC and was an ever-present in the 2001/02 season; eventually left the Addicks in January 2004 for London rivals Chelsea FC and helped his new employers reach the semi-finals of the UEFA Champions League.
• Won his first cap for England while still a Charlton player – against Denmark at Old Trafford on 16 November 2003 – but his first competitive appearance for his country (and first start) did not come until almost three years later, after he had left Chelsea for Newcastle United FC, in a UEFA EURO 2008 qualifier against Croatia.
• After 55 Premier League appearances for Newcastle, he returned to London, joining West Ham United FC, where he was reunited with former Charlton boss Alan Curbishley; spent four seasons at Upton Park, producing his best form in the last of them and being acclaimed by the nation's football writers as the 2011 Footballer of the Year – despite West Ham's relegation to the Championship.
• Recalled to the national team by Fabio Capello, he became a key figure during the second stage of the UEFA EURO 2012 qualifying campaign and, after some exceptional displays for new club Tottenham, he was appointed as England skipper by caretaker coach Stuart Pearce for the February 2012 friendly at Wembley against the Netherlands.
• Started all four of England's games at UEFA EURO 2012 as the side made it to the quarter-finals.
• Missed the start of the 2012/13 campaign at Spurs due to injury and moved in the summer of 2013 across London to Fulham. Made 22 league appearances for the Cottagers in his first season, scoring twice, but could not prevent the side suffering relegation.
©UEFA.com 1998-2015. All rights reserved.
|The home team is listed first.||Last updated: 03/05/2015 03:11 CET|
|22.03.2013||FIFA World Cup||Qualifying round||San Marino||0-8||England||24||0||0|
|26.08.2014||English League Cup||Second round||Brentford||0-1||Fulham||45||0||0|
|23.09.2014||English League Cup||Third round||Fulham||2-1||Doncaster||18||0||0|
|03.01.2015||English FA Cup||Third round||Fulham||0-0||Wolves||90||0||0|
|13.01.2015||English FA Cup||Third round - Replay||Wolves||3-3||Fulham||105||0||0|
|UEFA Champions League|
|UEFA Europa League|
|UEFA Intertoto Cup|