Although categorised as a defensive midfielder, Kostas Katsouranis can lay claim to an impressive goalscoring record − thanks largely to a firm, accurate long-range shot. A veteran of Greece's UEFA EURO 2004 triumph with over 50 competitive internationals under his belt, he is a fundamental figure in Fernando Santos's team.
• Spent six seasons with home-town club Panachaiki GC, five of them in the top flight, before joining AEK Athens FC in 2002 (after talks with rivals Olympiacos FC and Panathinaikos FC broke down).
• Won no championships or cups with AEK in his four-year spell, but found the net 29 times in the league and played frequently in Europe, scoring in the UEFA Champions League against Real Madrid CF (2-2 at Santiago Bernabéu).
• Went into UEFA EURO 2004 with just six caps − all in friendlies − but emerged as a mainstay in Otto Rehhagel's triumphant team, starting every match after coming on as a substitute in the opening game against Portugal; he has barely missed an important fixture for his country since, starting all three games at both UEFA EURO 2008 and the 2010 FIFA World Cup.
• Left AEK for SL Benfica in 2006, following in the footsteps of coach Fernando Santos; an ever-present in back-to-back UEFA Champions League campaigns, he scored ten goals in 80 Liga appearances for the Lisbon club before returning to Greece in 2009 and Panathinaikos FC.
• Finally ended his long wait for a first trophy by helping the Greens win the domestic double in his first season; was the team's second top scorer (behind Djibril Cissé) with eight goals in the Super League triumph.
• Started nine of Greece's ten UEFA EURO 2012 qualifiers, taking his number of caps to 87; scored his ninth international goal on his 88th appearance, a November 2011 friendly against Russia in Piraeus.
UEFA European Championship: winner 2004
©UEFA.com 1998-2014. All rights reserved.
|The home team is listed first.||Last updated: 04/12/2014 01:26 CET|
|07.09.2012||FIFA World Cup||Qualifying round||Latvia||1-2||Greece||90||0||1|
|11.09.2012||FIFA World Cup||Qualifying round||Greece||2-0||Lithuania||90||0||0|
|12.10.2012||FIFA World Cup||Qualifying round||Greece||0-0||Bosnia and Herzegovina||90||0||0|
|16.10.2012||FIFA World Cup||Qualifying round||Slovakia||0-1||Greece||90||0||1|
|22.03.2013||FIFA World Cup||Qualifying round||Bosnia and Herzegovina||3-1||Greece||90||0||0|
|07.06.2013||FIFA World Cup||Qualifying round||Lithuania||0-1||Greece||85||0||0|
|06.09.2013||FIFA World Cup||Qualifying round||Liechtenstein||0-1||Greece||90||0||0|
|10.09.2013||FIFA World Cup||Qualifying round||Greece||1-0||Latvia||90||0||0|
|15.10.2013||FIFA World Cup||Qualifying round||Greece||2-0||Liechtenstein||90||0||0|
|15.11.2013||FIFA World Cup||Play-off for Final Tournament||Greece||3-1||Romania||86||0||1|
|14.06.2014||FIFA World Cup||Final tournament - Group stage||Colombia||3-0||Greece||90||0||0|
|19.06.2014||FIFA World Cup||Final tournament - Group stage||Japan||0-0||Greece||38||0||0|
|29.06.2014||FIFA World Cup||Round of 16||Costa Rica||1-1|
|UEFA Champions League|
|UEFA Europa League|
|UEFA Intertoto Cup|