A regular performer at all youth levels for Italy before he was appointed Under-21 captain, Lorenzo De Silvestri is a highly-rated right-back who left his hometown club S.S. Lazio for ACF Fiorentina in August 2009. Fast and penetrative in attack, he is also a solid, reliable defender.
• Born in Rome, he came through the youth ranks at Lazio, making his first-team debut aged 17 in a 2005 UEFA Intertoto Cup game against Tampere United.
• Made league bow almost two years later before establishing himself as a regular in Lazio's Serie A lineup, making 24 appearances in 2007/08 and also sampling first taste of UEFA Champions League (two starts, two substitute appearances).
• Less prominent in 2008/09 as he lost place at right-back to Swiss international Stefan Lichtsteiner; did, however, win his first major honour, coming on as extra-time substitute in final of Coppa Italia, which Lazio won on penalties against UC Sampdoria.
• Failure to agree contract terms with Lazio led to 2009 move to Fiorentina, with whom he signed a five-year deal.
• Faced another fight for first-team recognition with the Viola, playing second fiddle to Gianluca Comotto for most of 2009/10 UEFA Champions League group stage; made first start on Matchday 5 in 1-0 home win against Olympique Lyonnais.
Did you know?
De Silvestri played for Italy at the 2008 Olympic Games in Beijing but was not selected for the 2009 UEFA European Under-21 Championship finals in Sweden.
©UEFA.com 1998-2014. All rights reserved.
|UEFA Champions League|
|UEFA Intertoto Cup|