Clubs: SL Benfica, CD Operário, Rio Ave FC, Porto FC, Real Betis Balompié (loan), SC Braga (loan), Sporting Clube de Portugal, Olympique Lyonnais (loan)
Miguel Lopes has risen from relative obscurity to take his place in Portugal's UEFA EURO 2012 squad, earning his surprise call-up thanks to a succession of strong displays for SC Braga in the second half of the 2011/12 season. An energetic, all-purpose full-back, he can play on either flank.
• A native of Lisbon, he started out with SL Benfica's B side but was unable to break into the first team and went off to the Azores to play lower-league football with CD Operário before helping Rio Ave FC win promotion to the Portuguese top flight in 2007/08.
• Enjoyed an impressive debut Liga campaign, making 26 appearances – all starts – to help the Vila do Conde club finish in an unexpectedly high position of 12th.
• His fine form drew the attention of FC Porto, but after joining the club in summer 2009 he made scant impact, losing out to Jorge Fucile in the battle for the right-back berth and making just 12 Liga outings and none in the UEFA Champions League; he did, however, start the 2010 Portuguese Cup final triumph over GD Chaves.
• Left Porto in 2010 for a season-long loan at Real Betis Balompié; missed out on the Dragons' treble-winning campaign under André Villas-Boas but helped Betis win the Segunda División and return to Spain's elite.
• Back at Porto for 2011/12 but remained out of favour and went on loan in mid-campaign to Braga, helping the Arsenalistas finish third in the Liga and making his European debut in a UEFA Europa League round of 32 first leg tie against Beşiktaş JK.
• Strong season earned a place in Portugal's UEFA EURO 2012 squad and made his international debut against Turkey in June, but did not go on to appear in the tournament finals.
• Returned to Porto for the start of the 2012/13 season, before making the switch to Sporting in January 2013. Loaned out for the 2013/14 season to Lyon in France.
©UEFA.com 1998-2014. All rights reserved.
|UEFA Champions League|
|UEFA Europa League|