A former Argentinian international, Mario Santana took out Italian citizenship in February 2008 and has been playing in Italy since 2002. A right-winger renowned above all for the quality of his crosses, he has defied a succession of injuries to become an important player for ACF Fiorentina.
• Born in Patagonia, in the south of Argentina, he helped his first club, CA San Lorenzo de Almagro, win the Clausura title in 2001.
• Joined AC Venezia in January 2002, making Serie A debut against Atalanta BC in March that year, but left in summer for then Serie B club US Città di Palermo.
• Missed Palermo's 2003/04 promotion as he was on loan to Serie A outfit AC Chievo Verona that season; returned to Sicily and made 58 top-flight appearances for Palermo before joining Fiorentina in summer 2006.
• Scored on debut for Argentina in August 2004 – against Japan − and made four appearances at 2005 FIFA Confederations Cup. Was not selected for following year's FIFA World Cup.
• Appeared in all six of Fiorentina's 2008/09 UEFA Champions League games and five in 2009/10, scoring first goal in competition on 20 October 2009 in 4-3 win at Debreceni VSC.
Did you know?
Santana scored on his Fiorentina debut – a Coppa Italia tie against Giarre FC.
©UEFA.com 1998-2014. All rights reserved.
|The home team is listed first.||Last updated: 11/02/2014 02:15 CET|
|25.08.2013||Italian Serie A||Internazionale||2-0||Genoa||85||0||0|
|01.09.2013||Italian Serie A||Genoa||2-5||Fiorentina||45||0||0|
|15.09.2013||Italian Serie A||Sampdoria||0-3||Genoa||18||0||0|
|28.09.2013||Italian Serie A||Genoa||0-2||Napoli||45||0||0|
|06.10.2013||Italian Serie A||Catania||1-1||Genoa||81||0||0|
|20.10.2013||Italian Serie A||Genoa||2-1||Chievo||29||0||0|
|09.02.2014||Portuguese First Division||Olhanense||1-1||Marítimo||67||0||0|
|UEFA Champions League|
|UEFA Europa League|