The son of a well-known Swedish journalist and broadcaster, Albin Ekdal is in the process of carving out a useful career in Serie A. He has already represented four clubs in that division, the latest being Cagliari Calcio. A gifted right-sided midfielder, he made his debut for Sweden in August 2011.
• The son of TV presenter Lennart Ekdal, he was born in Stockholm and began his career with IF Brommapojkarna, having rejected a move to Chelsea FC following a successful trial.
• Starred in his debut season in the Allsvenskan, despite Brommapojkarna's relegation, and was widely revered as a special talent, his excellent displays for Sweden's youth selections further attracting the interest of several top European clubs; eventually signed a four-year contract with Juventus and moved to Turin in the summer of 2008 after completing his schooling.
• Groomed in the Juventus reserves, he made just three substitute appearances for the Bianconeri, the first of them away to SSC Napoli on 18 October 2008; joined AC Siena on loan for the 2009/10 season and scored his first Serie A goal in a 4-3 defeat by FC Internazionale Milano at San Siro on 10 January 2010.
• Relegated with Siena, he was signed by Bologna FC in a co-ownership deal with Juventus but a year later was on the move again, joining Cagliari.
• Shortly before arriving in Sardinia he was handed his senior debut for Sweden, playing the last half-hour of a friendly against Ukraine in the UEFA EURO 2012 venue of Kharkiv (1-0).
©UEFA.com 1998-2014. All rights reserved.
|The home team is listed first.||Last updated: 09/09/2014 01:35 CET|
|11.06.2013||FIFA World Cup||Qualifying round||Sweden||2-0||Faroe Islands||90||0||0|
|06.09.2013||FIFA World Cup||Qualifying round||Republic of Ireland||1-2||Sweden||90||0||0|
|10.09.2013||FIFA World Cup||Qualifying round||Kazakhstan||0-1||Sweden||90||0||0|
|31.08.2014||Italian Serie A||Sassuolo||1-1||Cagliari||90||0||0|
|08.09.2014||UEFA EURO||Qualifying round||Austria||1-1||Sweden||90||0||0|
|UEFA Europa League|