Although unused during Sweden's UEFA EURO 2012 qualifying campaign, Michael Almebäck is a candidate to fill one of the defensive slots in Erik Hamrén's squad for the final tournament. The Stockholm-born centre-back has made good progress in Belgium with Club Brugge KV following a summer 2011 move from Örebro SK.
• Launched his career with IF Brommapojkarna and won promotion to Allsvenskan – after a play-off – in his first season.
• Made just three top-division appearances in the 2007 campaign, which resulted in the club's immediate relegation and a return to the second tier.
• Transferred to Örebro in 2009, he enjoyed an outstanding debut season, making 28 starts and being nominated for the Allsvenskan's young player of the year award; he maintained his progress the following term, helping the club to a surprise third-place finish.
• Graduated from the Swedish Under-21 side to the senior squad and made his full debut in a January 2010 friendly against Syria in Damascus; involved again the following winter, starting friendlies against Botswana, South Africa and Cyprus.
• Left Örebro for Club Brugge and helped his new employers through the group stage of the UEFA Europa League, having made his European debut in a third qualifying round home win against Qarabağ FK on 28 July 2011.
©UEFA.com 1998-2014. All rights reserved.
|UEFA Europa League|