A relatively inexperienced but highly talented goalkeeper, Wojciech Szczęsny is the first choice between the posts for English Premier League club Arsenal FC. He is also expected to keep goal for Poland at UEFA EURO 2012 in what will be his first exposure at a major tournament.
• The son of former Legia Warszawa goalkeeper Maciej Szczęsny, Wojciech was invited to train with Legia at the age of 15, before moving to Arsenal in 2006 and signing professional terms two years later.
• Kept a clean sheet on his Arsenal debut in a League Cup third round match against West Bromwich Albion FC and then impressed while on loan at English third-tier club Brentford for the rest of the 2009/10 campaign.
• Represented Poland in UEFA European Championship qualifying matches at Under-19 and U21 level, before making his senior international debut as a second-half substitute against Canada on 18 November 2009.
• Returned to Arsenal for the 2010/11 season and was promoted to second-choice goalkeeper behind compatriot Łukasz Fabiański, whose injury enabled him to make his top-flight debut, against Manchester United FC, on 13 December 2010.
• Became No1 in January 2011 following a season-ending shoulder injury sustained by Fabiański and was ever-present in the 2011/12 Premier League.
©UEFA.com 1998-2016. All rights reserved.
|The home team is listed first.||Last updated: 25/08/2016 13:03 CET|
|07.09.2014||UEFA EURO||Qualifying round||Gibraltar||0-7||Poland||90||0||0|
|11.10.2014||UEFA EURO||Qualifying round||Poland||2-0||Germany||90||0||0|
|14.10.2014||UEFA EURO||Qualifying round||Poland||2-2||Scotland||90||0||0|
|14.11.2014||UEFA EURO||Qualifying round||Georgia||0-4||Poland||90||0||0|
|12.06.2016||UEFA EURO||Final tournament - Group stage||Poland||1-0||Northern Ireland||90||0||0|
|20.08.2016||Italian Serie A||Roma||4-0||Udinese||90||0||0|
|23.08.2016||UEFA Champions League||Play-offs||Roma||0-3||Porto||90||0||0|
|UEFA Champions League|