Clubs: AS Roma
UEFA European Championship: runner-up 2000
UEFA European Under-21 Championship: winner 1996
UEFA European Under-18 Championship: runner-up 1995
• Born and bred in the Eternal City, Totti supported Roma as a boy and joined the club's youth team in 1989, making his Serie A debut at the age of 16 in a 2-0 win at Brescia Calcio on 28 March 1993; scored his first goal 18 months later in a 1-1 draw against Foggia Calcio.
• His rapid development encouraged coach Zdeněk Zeman to give him the club captaincy in 1997 at the age of 20; scored 30 goals over the next three seasons, winning his first senior cap for the Azzurri in October 1998 and helping Italy to a runners-up spot at UEFA EURO 2000, where he was the man of the match in the final against France.
• Captained Roma to the Scudetto in 2000/01 under coach Fabio Capello and named Italy's footballer of the year in 2000 and 2001; he would win the award on three further occasions (2003, 2004 and 2007) as he continued to inspire Roma on the domestic and European fronts, becoming the club's record goalscorer in Serie A in 2004 and winning the European Golden Shoe with 26 goals during 2006/07.
• Had disappointing experiences with Italy at the 2002 FIFA World Cup and UEFA EURO 2004 but returned from serious injury to help Italy win the 2006 World Cup in Germany, playing in all seven matches and scoring one goal – a last-minute winning penalty against Australia in the round of 16; the World Cup final proved to be his last match for Italy, his international career concluding with 58 caps and nine goals.
• Continued to serve Roma with distinction well into his 30s, winning the Coppa Italia in 2007 and 2008 and steering the Giallorossi to runners-up in Serie A for the sixth time in 2009/10; smashed all Roma appearance and goalscoring records, ending 2009/10 with 192 goals in 442 Serie A matches, and took his UEFA Champions League goal tally to 15 with two penalties in 2010/11 group stage.
©UEFA.com 1998-2014. All rights reserved.
|UEFA Champions League|
|UEFA Europa League|