Clubs: Defensor Sporting Club, SL Benfica
• A native of Montevideo, Maxi Pereira joined Defensor as a schoolboy, making his senior debut at 18.
• Went on to make 95 league appearances for Defensor over a five-year period, scoring 20 goals; alternated between right-back and right-wing.
• Transferred to Benfica in summer 2007 in a joint move with Cristian Rodríguez; started in midfield but switched to right-back and made an important contribution from that position to the Eagles' 2009/10 Liga title triumph, making 25 appearances and scoring two goals.
• Won his first cap for Uruguay on 26 October 2005 against Mexico (1-3) and represented his country at the 2007 Copa América before starring for the Celeste at the 2010 FIFA World Cup, starting all seven games and scoring his first international goal late on in the 3-2 semi-final defeat by the Netherlands.
• Benfica's undisputed right-back in European and domestic competition in 2010/11, he scored his first goal of season in a 2-1 home win against Paris Saint-Germain FC in the last 16 of the UEFA Europa League.
• A key element as Benfica earned three successive second-placed finishes in the league, and made the final of the UEFA Europa League in 2013. However, missed the showpiece defeat to Chelsea FC through suspension.
UEFA Europa League: runner-up 2013
©UEFA.com 1998-2016. All rights reserved.
|UEFA Champions League|
|UEFA Europa League|