Clubs: Parma FC, Juventus
• Born in Carrara, Tuscany, Buffon joined the youth system at Parma in 1991 and by 17 had made his Serie A debut in a 0-0 draw with AC Milan on 19 November 1995.
• Buffon hails from a sporting family. His father was a shot-putter, his mother a discus thrower, and his two sisters are volleyball players. His grandfather's cousin, Lorenzo Buffon, played in goal for Milan.
• A participant at the 1996 Olympics, Buffon made his senior debut for Italy aged 19 as an emergency substitute for the injured Gianluca Pagliuca in a 1998 FIFA World Cup qualifying play-off against Russia. He replaced Pagliuca as the Azzurri No1 during UEFA EURO 2000 qualification but missed the final tournament with an injured hand.
• A UEFA Cup winner with Parma in 1999 against Olympique de Marseille in the Moscow final, he became the world's costliest keeper when he joined Juventus for €52m two years later. He saved two penalties in the 2003 UEFA Champions League final shoot-out against Milan at Old Trafford but still ended up on the losing side.
• Started all of Italy's matches at the 2002 and 2006 World Cups, and UEFA EURO 2004. Conceded only two goals in seven matches during Italy's triumph in Germany – an own-goal and a penalty – yet made no saves in the final shoot-out victory over France.
• Celebrated his 100th outing for the Azzurri by keeping a clean sheet as Italy drew 0-0 with the Netherlands in a Pescara friendly on 14 November 2009. He started the opening match at the 2010 World Cup but was substituted at half-time against Paraguay with a sciatic nerve problem, from which he would not return until the following January.
• Remained with Juventus after their enforced relegation to Serie B in 2006 and missed just three matches in the second tier as the Bianconeri made an immediate return to Italy's top division − passed 300 league appearances for La Vecchia Signora during the 2011/12 season in which unbeaten Juventus won their 28th Italian championship.
• Buffon received a commemorative cap and medal from UEFA to mark his century of international appearances on 11 October 2011, before Italy's 3-0 win against Northern Ireland in UEFA European Championship qualifying: "I feel I'm entering the football nobility today and I'm happy to celebrate this milestone while still playing," he said.
• Played in every match and was named in the Team of the Tournament as Italy finished runners-up to Spain at UEFA EURO 2012.
• Remained number one choice throughout the 2012/13 season as Juventus won a second successive Scudetto and made it to the quarter-finals of the UEFA Champions League.
UEFA European Championship: runner-up 2012
UEFA EURO 2012: Team of the Tournament
UEFA EURO 2008: Team of the Tournament
UEFA Champions League: runner-up 2003
UEFA Cup: winner 1999
UEFA European Under-21 Championship: winner 1996
UEFA Club Footballer of the Year: 2003
UEFA Club Goalkeeper of the Year: 2003
UEFA.com users' Team of the Year: 2003, 2004, 2006
©UEFA.com 1998-2016. All rights reserved.
|The home team is listed first.||Last updated: 25/10/2016 02:12 CET|
|09.09.2014||UEFA EURO||Qualifying round||Norway||0-2||Italy||90||0||0|
|10.10.2014||UEFA EURO||Qualifying round||Italy||2-1||Azerbaijan||90||0||0|
|13.10.2014||UEFA EURO||Qualifying round||Malta||0-1||Italy||90||0||0|
|16.11.2014||UEFA EURO||Qualifying round||Italy||1-1||Croatia||90||0||0|
|12.06.2015||UEFA EURO||Qualifying round||Croatia||1-1||Italy||46||0||0|
|03.09.2015||UEFA EURO||Qualifying round||Italy||1-0||Malta||90||0||0|
|06.09.2015||UEFA EURO||Qualifying round||Italy||1-0||Bulgaria||90||0||0|
|10.10.2015||UEFA EURO||Qualifying round||Azerbaijan||1-3||Italy||90||0||0|
|13.10.2015||UEFA EURO||Qualifying round||Italy||2-1||Norway||90||0||0|
|13.06.2016||UEFA EURO||Final tournament - Group stage||Belgium||0-2||Italy||90||0||0|
|17.06.2016||UEFA EURO||Final tournament - Group stage||Italy||1-0||Sweden||90||0||0|
|27.06.2016||UEFA EURO||Round of 16||Italy||2-0||Spain||90||0||0|
|20.08.2016||Italian Serie A||Juventus||2-1||Fiorentina||90||0||0|
|27.08.2016||Italian Serie A||Lazio||0-1||Juventus||90||0||0|
|01.09.2016||Friendlies 2014-16||Final tournament - Group stage||Italy||1-3||France||46||0||0|
|05.09.2016||FIFA World Cup||Qualifying round||Israel||1-3||Italy||90||0||0|
|10.09.2016||Italian Serie A||Juventus||3-1||Sassuolo||90||0||0|
|14.09.2016||UEFA Champions League||Group stage||Juventus||0-0||Sevilla||90||0||0|
|18.09.2016||Italian Serie A||Internazionale||2-1||Juventus||90||0||0|
|21.09.2016||Italian Serie A||Juventus||4-0||Cagliari||45||0||0|
|24.09.2016||Italian Serie A||Palermo||0-1||Juventus||90||0||0|
|27.09.2016||UEFA Champions League||Group stage||Dinamo Zagreb||0-4||Juventus||90||0||0|
|02.10.2016||Italian Serie A||Empoli||0-3||Juventus||90||0||0|
|06.10.2016||FIFA World Cup||Qualifying round||Italy||1-1||Spain||90||0||0|
|09.10.2016||FIFA World Cup||Qualifying round||FYR Macedonia||2-3||Italy||90||0||0|
|15.10.2016||Italian Serie A||Juventus||2-1||Udinese||90||0||0|
|18.10.2016||UEFA Champions League||Group stage||Lyon||0-1||Juventus||90||0||0|
|22.10.2016||Italian Serie A||Milan||1-0||Juventus||90||0||0|
|UEFA Champions League|
|UEFA Europa League|