A clever, hard-working striker with excellent heading technique, Diogo Luís Santo is one of a plethora of talented young Brazilian forwards operating in Europe. Closely tracked by Arsenal FC as a teenager, he joined Olympiacos FC in summer 2008 after registering an impressive strike rate for hometown club Portuguesa.
• Born in Sao Paulo, he made rapid progress as a teenager at Portuguesa, making headlines with 18 goals in 28 games for the club as they won promotion from Brazil's second division in 2007.
• Scored six goals in 13 top-flight appearances for Portuguesa in 2008 before the summer transfer window opened and offers started to come in from Europe; eventually signed for Olympiacos in August for €9m.
• Scored three goals in first five Super League games as Olympiacos retained their title; on target three times in two-legged semi-final of Greek Cup, which Piraeus club also won.
• Showed more prolific form in UEFA Cup, scoring twice on home debut in first-round tie against FC Nordsjælland and three more times in group stage, including double in 5-1 win against SL Benfica.
• Started first two UEFA Champions League group games in 2009/10, having scored in qualifying round against ŠK Slovan Bratislava, but picked up ankle injury that sidelined him for two months.
Did you know?
Diogo was selected for Brazil's 2008 Olympic squad but had to withdraw because of injury.
©UEFA.com 1998-2017. All rights reserved.
|UEFA Champions League|
|UEFA Europa League|