Clubs: FC Schalke 04
• Born in Bochum to a Cameroonian father and German mother, Matip came up through the youth ranks at Schalke, having joined the club at the age of nine.
• Enjoyed a memorable Bundesliga debut, scoring the equaliser in a 1-1 draw against FC Bayern München on 7 November 2009.
• Became a regular in the Schalke midfield during the remainder of 2009/10, making a total of 20 Bundesliga appearances and adding two further goals – against 1. FC Köln and Eintracht Frankfurt.
• Opted to represent Cameroon, rather than Germany, at international level, making his debut in a March 2010 friendly against Italy (0-0 in Monaco) – a day after signing a new contract with Schalke. Went on to represent the Indomitable Lions at the FIFA World Cup in South Africa, making one appearance, in the opening game against Japan (0-1).
• Played 11 times – scoring in the remarkable 5-2 quarter-final first leg win at FC Internazionale Milano – as the club made the semi-finals of the 2010/11 UEFA Champions League group stage.
• Featured 14 times in the Bundesliga the following season, before becoming a virtual ever-present in the 2012/13 campaign, playing 32 of Schalke's 34 league games – scoring three times – as the side finished fourth to qualify for the UEFA Champions League again.
©UEFA.com 1998-2015. All rights reserved.
|The home team is listed first.||Last updated: 03/12/2014 15:41 CET|
|18.06.2014||FIFA World Cup||Final tournament - Group stage||Cameroon||0-4||Croatia||90||0||0|
|23.06.2014||FIFA World Cup||Final tournament - Group stage||Cameroon||1-4||Brazil||90||1||0|
|18.08.2014||German DFB Cup||First round||Dresden||2-1||Schalke||90||1||0|
|30.09.2014||UEFA Champions League||Group stage||Schalke||1-1||Maribor||90||0||0|
|UEFA Champions League|
|UEFA Europa League|