Clubs: SK Liepājas Metalurgs, Skonto FC, FC Dynamo Kyiv, Getafe CF, HNK Hajduk Split, RC Celta de Vigo, Bakı FK, Ergotelis FC
• Born in Liepaja in 1979, Verpakovskis was guided as a youngster by his father Ilmars, himself a former Latvian international. Verpakovskis Jr scored on his first senior cap at the age of 19 and was soon compared to the country's legendary talisman Marians Pahars.
• Verpakovskis' own rise accelerated in 2001 when he joined Skonto, where he learned from Aleksandrs Starkovs, arguably the country's greatest coach. Verpakovskis won three national titles with the Riga outfit.
• Scored twice in the UEFA EURO 2004 play-off against Turkey, helping his country reach a major final tournament for the first time. He was named Latvian player of the year and earned a move to Dynamo, where his highlight was a goal against Real Madrid CF in the 2004/05 UEFA Champions League group stage.
• Verpakovskis scored Latvia's only goal of UEFA EURO 2004, in the 2-1 defeat by Czech Republic. He was again recognised as Latvian player of the year.
• He subsequently featured for five clubs in as many years, finding the net in the top flights of Spain, Croatia, Greece and Azerbaijan. Has since become all-time top scorer for Latvia and brought up a century of caps, a landmark he reached in a FIFA World Cup qualifier against Greece on 10 September 2013.
©UEFA.com 1998-2015. All rights reserved.
|UEFA Champions League|
|UEFA Cup Winners' Cup|
|UEFA Europa League|