One of a select band of Swedish footballers to have amassed 100 caps, Olof Mellberg will participate at his fourth UEFA European Championship final tournament in 2012. A solid, reliable central defender who can also play at right-back, he arrives in Poland and Ukraine fresh from helping Olympiacos FC to the Greek double in 2011/12.
• Joined AIK Solna from Degerfors IF in 1998 and won Allsvenskan title, although he missed the run-in and celebrations after joining Real Racing Club that August.
• Impressive performances in Spain led to his international debut in February 2000 – against Italy – and a starting berth at the UEFA European Championship finals four months later.
• Relegated with Racing in 2001, he moved to Aston Villa FC, where consistent performances helped earn him the 2003 Guldbollen as Sweden's footballer of the year.
• A key man for Sweden at the 2002 FIFA World Cup and UEFA EURO 2004, where he missed a penalty in a quarter-final shoot-out loss to the Netherlands; captained his country at the 2006 World Cup in Germany but relinquished the armband afterwards.
• Left Aston Villa in 2008 on free transfer to Juventus after making 232 league appearances for the Birmingham club but winning no trophies; no silverware either in his sole campaign in Turin, prompting a €2.5m move to Olympiacos.
• A runner-up in his first term in Greece, he scored a career-best tally of three league goals the following season, including one in a last-day 6-0 defeat of Larissa FC, as the Pireaus outfit topped the Super League.
• Made his 100th appearance for Sweden on 3 March 2010 in a 1-0 friendly victory against Wales in Swansea.
UEFA EURO 2004: All-Star Squad
©UEFA.com 1998-2015. All rights reserved.
|UEFA Champions League|
|UEFA Europa League|
|UEFA Intertoto Cup|