Clubs: FK Crvena zvezda, FK Spartak Subotica (loan), FC Spartak Moskva, Manchester United FC
• Became Crvena Zvezda captain and led the club to the domestic double in 2003/04 before leaving for Spartak Moskva − caught the eye of United scouts during an impressive 18-month stint in Russia and joined the Old Trafford club on 5 January 2006.
• Had a slow start to his career in England but his form improved season by season, peaking in 2008/09, when he was the cornerstone of a United defence which set a Premier League record of 14 successive clean sheets.
• A UEFA Champions League winner in 2008 against Chelsea FC on penalties in the Moscow final, but on the losing side to FC Barcelona in the Rome showpiece 12 months later and again in 2011.
• Made his international debut for Serbia & Montenegro in October 2002 but injured for the 2006 FIFA World Cup and, although named in the squad, he did not make an appearance; played a prominent role in helping Serbia qualify for the 2010 finals in South Africa, where he played in all three of his country's matches.
• Headed a crucial goal in a 2-1 defeat of Chelsea in May 2011 which effectively secured his fourth Premier League title as a United player.
• Finished seventh in a summer 2011 poll, conducted among a jury of 53 sports journalists, to determine the winner of the inaugural UEFA Best Player in Europe Award.
• Injury limited him to just ten appearances in all competitions in 2011/12, but was more prominent as he lifted at fifth league title with Manchester United in 2012/13.
©UEFA.com 1998-2014. All rights reserved.
|UEFA Champions League|
|UEFA Super Cup|
|UEFA Europa League|