A small, vivacious forward who returned to PAOK FC in 2010 after a four-year stint with Panathinaikos FC, Dimitris Salpingidis made a name for himself in the 2010 FIFA World Cup, scoring the play-off winner against Ukraine and another in South Africa versus Nigeria that was his country's first goal at the finals.
• Born in Thessaloniki, he joined PAOK in 2002 and was quick to impress, scoring 16 league goals in his second season, 14 in his third and a league-best haul of 17 in his fourth; he was also on target six times for the club in the UEFA Cup.
• Awarded his first cap in August 2005, he frustratingly went 15 games without a goal for his country until he scored the winner in a friendly against the Czech Republic 'B' team in Cyprus in February 2008.
• Joined Panathinaikos in August 2006 for €1.8m plus three players and proved his worth immediately with a hat-trick on his debut (in a 4-1 win at Egaleo FC) before going on to become club's top scorer with 14 goals; he increased his output to 15 in 2007/08 and was voted Super League player of the year in both 2008 and 2009.
• After six successive UEFA Cup campaigns, he made his UEFA Champions League debut in 2008/09 and scored his first goal − a penalty − in a 3-1 defeat by Anorthosis Famagusta FC; won the league and cup double with the Greens in 2009/10 before returning to PAOK.
• Scored two goals for Greece in 2010 World Cup qualification, including the decider away to Ukraine in the second leg of the play-off, and added another historic strike against Nigeria at the final tournament; on target just once in nine UEFA EURO 2012 qualifiers − in a 2-1 home triumph over Israel.
©UEFA.com 1998-2014. All rights reserved.
|The home team is listed first.||Last updated: 24/10/2014 08:51 CET|
|12.10.2012||FIFA World Cup||Qualifying round||Greece||0-0||Bosnia and Herzegovina||33||0||0|
|16.10.2012||FIFA World Cup||Qualifying round||Slovakia||0-1||Greece||90||1||0|
|22.03.2013||FIFA World Cup||Qualifying round||Bosnia and Herzegovina||3-1||Greece||73||0||0|
|07.06.2013||FIFA World Cup||Qualifying round||Lithuania||0-1||Greece||25||0||0|
|10.09.2013||FIFA World Cup||Qualifying round||Greece||1-0||Latvia||64||1||0|
|11.10.2013||FIFA World Cup||Qualifying round||Greece||1-0||Slovakia||76||0||0|
|15.10.2013||FIFA World Cup||Qualifying round||Greece||2-0||Liechtenstein||90||1||0|
|15.11.2013||FIFA World Cup||Play-off for Final Tournament||Greece||3-1||Romania||90||1||1|
|19.11.2013||FIFA World Cup||Play-off for Final Tournament||Romania||1-1||Greece||90||0||0|
|14.06.2014||FIFA World Cup||Final tournament - Group stage||Colombia||3-0||Greece||57||0||0|
|19.06.2014||FIFA World Cup||Final tournament - Group stage||Japan||0-0||Greece||9||0||0|
|24.06.2014||FIFA World Cup||Final tournament - Group stage||Greece||2-1||Ivory Coast||90||0||0|
|29.06.2014||FIFA World Cup||Round of 16||Costa Rica||1-1|
|28.08.2014||UEFA Europa League||Play-offs||PAOK||4-0||Zimbru||62||0||0|
|07.09.2014||UEFA EURO||Qualifying round||Greece||0-1||Romania||90||0||0|
|13.09.2014||Greek Super League||PAOK||3-0||Niki Volos||64||0||1|
|22.09.2014||Greek Super League||Panaitolikos||0-1||PAOK||87||0||0|
|28.09.2014||Greek Super League||PAOK||4-0||OFI||69||0||1|
|14.10.2014||UEFA EURO||Qualifying round||Greece||0-2||Northern Ireland||23||0||0|
|19.10.2014||Greek Super League||PAOK||2-1||Atromitos||90||0||0|
|23.10.2014||UEFA Europa League||Group stage||PAOK||0-1||Fiorentina||0||0||0|
|UEFA Champions League|
|UEFA Europa League|