Clubs: Hertha BSC Berlin, West Bromwich Albion FC, Manchester United FC
UEFA Champions League: winner 2008, runner-up 2009, 2011
• Born in Poland but joined Hertha as a youth player; never made a Bundesliga appearance for the club – where Hungarian Gábor Király was the No1 − despite representing Poland regularly at Under-21 level.
• Won his first full international cap in December 2003 and moved to West Brom the following summer; became first choice in 2005/06, making 28 Premier League starts, but despite the club's relegation from the Premier League he did enough to earn a loan move to United.
• Selected for Poland's 2006 FIFA World Cup squad, he did not appear at the finals, providing backup for Artur Boruc; included in the original party for UEFA EURO 2008 but had to be replaced at the 11th hour after sustaining a back injury.
• Saved a penalty against Arsenal FC on his Premier League debut for United (in a 1-0 home defeat); made nine league and five UEFA Champions League appearances in 2007/08 as United became champions of England and Europe.
• Was an unused substitute for the 2008, 2009 and 2011 UEFA Champions League finals.
• Made 11 successive appearances between November 2009 and January 2010 − his best run since moving to Old Trafford − and though he subsequently stepped aside for the return of Edwin van der Sar, he started the League Cup final triumph against Aston Villa FC the following month.
©UEFA.com 1998-2013. All rights reserved.
|UEFA Champions League|