A tall, imposing central defender who earned high praise as a youngster with AJ Auxerre, Jean-Alain Boumsong experienced fluctuating fortunes outside of France before returning home in January 2008 to play for Olympique Lyonnais. He was a member of France's squad at three successive major tournaments from 2004 to 2008.
• Born in Cameroon, he moved to France aged 14; joined renowned training academy at Le Havre AC, making debut in the French top flight at 18.
• Recruited by Auxerre in 2000, he became a stalwart of Guy Roux's side alongside another highly-rated young centre-back, Philippe Mexès; scored late winner in final of 2003 Coupe de France and won first cap for France a few weeks later at FIFA Confederations Cup.
• Scored on only UEFA EURO 2004 qualifying appearance (3-0 at home to Israel) but had only a minute on field at the finals (against Switzerland); no action at all at 2006 FIFA World Cup despite six qualifying starts and made just one substitute appearance at UEFA EURO 2008.
• Left Auxerre for Rangers FC in 2004; moved to Newcastle United FC after a few months but never comfortable in British football and joined Juventus, just relegated to Serie B, in 2006.
• Returned to France with Lyon midway through 2007/08 season, winning Ligue 1/Coupe de France double; scored against Auxerre (3-0) on only league start in first three months of 2009/10 campaign.
Did you know?
Boumsong has won the Coupe de France twice – with Auxerre in 2003 and Lyon in 2008. On each occasion the defeated opponents in the final were Paris Saint-Germain FC.
©UEFA.com 1998-2013. All rights reserved.
|The home team is listed first.||Last updated: 10/05/2013 02:46 CET|
|31.07.2012||UEFA Champions League||Third qualifying round||Motherwell||0-2||Panathinaikos||90||0||0|
|08.08.2012||UEFA Champions League||Third qualifying round||Panathinaikos||3-0||Motherwell||90||0||0|
|22.08.2012||UEFA Champions League||Play-offs||Málaga||2-0||Panathinaikos||64||0||0|
|20.09.2012||UEFA Europa League||Group stage||Maribor||3-0||Panathinaikos||90||0||0|
|24.09.2012||Greek Super League||Panathinaikos||1-1||Atromitos||65||0||0|
|19.01.2013||Greek Super League||Panathinaikos||1-1||Panthrakikos||90||0||0|
|23.01.2013||Greek Cup||Fourth round||Platanias||1-0||Panathinaikos||90||0||0|
|27.01.2013||Greek Super League||Atromitos||1-2||Panathinaikos||90||1||0|
|02.02.2013||Greek Super League||Asteras||2-2||Panathinaikos||90||0||0|
|10.02.2013||Greek Super League||Panathinaikos||0-1||Xanthi||90||0||0|
|17.02.2013||Greek Super League||Aris||1-0||Panathinaikos||90||0||0|
|23.02.2013||Greek Super League||Panathinaikos||3-1||OFI||90||0||0|
|03.03.2013||Greek Super League||AEK||0-2||Panathinaikos||90||0||0|
|09.03.2013||Greek Super League||Panathinaikos||1-0||Kerkyra||90||0||0|
|17.03.2013||Greek Super League||PAOK||2-0||Panathinaikos||90||0||0|
|30.03.2013||Greek Super League||Panathinaikos||0-1||Platanias||90||0||0|
|14.04.2013||Greek Super League||Olympiacos||1-1||Panathinaikos||90||0||0|
|21.04.2013||Greek Super League||Panathinaikos||3-2||Veria||90||0||0|
|09.05.2013||Greek Super League||Panathinaikos||3-0||Xanthi||90||0||0|
|UEFA Champions League|
|UEFA Europa League|
|UEFA Intertoto Cup|