Clubs: Olympique de Marseille, FC Lorient, RC Lens, Sevilla FC, FC Barcelona
UEFA Champions League: winner 2009, 2011
UEFA Super Cup: 2009
• Left Mali for France aged 17, joining Marseille; made his top-flight debut for the club on 19 September 1999 – after winning the Golden Ball at the 1999 FIFA U-20 World Cup in Nigeria – but departed for Lorient after just six appearances.
• Promoted and relegated with the Brittany club but remained in the top flight with Lens, where he spent the next five seasons, eventually becoming club captain.
• Made his senior international debut in a FIFA World Cup qualifier against Libya on 9 April 2000 and his Africa Cup of Nations finals bow on home soil in 2002; on duty again at the tournament in 2004, 2006 and 2010.
• Saved his best for last at Lens, scoring 11 goals in 37 Ligue 1 games and helping them to the last 16 of the 2006/07 UEFA Cup, before joining Sevilla, where he made further progress, scoring headline-making goals against Real Madrid CF and Arsenal FC.
• Left Sevilla for Barça after one season and helped the Catalans to an historic treble in his first campaign at the Camp Nou, scoring four Liga goals and two in the UEFA Champions League (against Olympique Lyonnais and FC Bayern München).
• Came on as a substitute in the 2009 and 2011 UEFA Champions League finals against Manchester United FC.
©UEFA.com 1998-2015. All rights reserved.
|UEFA Champions League|
|UEFA Super Cup|
|UEFA Europa League|
|UEFA Intertoto Cup|