Clubs: Manchester United FC
• Left Scotland for Manchester in July 2000 when he joined United as a trainee; turned professional seven months later but struggled with a succession of injuries.
• Made his Scotland debut against Norway in August 2003 and scored his first international goal two months later in a crucial UEFA EURO 2004 qualifier against Lithuania (1-0); confirmed as permanent skipper in November 2009.
• Groomed as a right-sided midfielder, and possible replacement for David Beckham, he evolved into a central midfielder though flitted in and out of the side in United's 2006/07 and 2007/08 Premier League title-winning campaigns.
• Far more prominent in 2008/09, especially in the UEFA Champions League, but missed the final in Rome after being sent off in the second leg of the semi-final against Arsenal FC; he had been an unused substitute in the previous season's showpiece in Moscow.
• Made 29 league starts in 2009/10, the most of his career, a total he would have surpassed in United's title-winning campaign the following season had it not been for a combination of injury and illness during the run-in.
• A bowel disease has limited him to just a handful of appearances over the 2011/12 and 2012/13 seasons.
UEFA Champions League: winner 2008, runner-up 2011
©UEFA.com 1998-2016. All rights reserved.
|The home team is listed first.||Last updated: 30/11/2016 02:25 CET|
|07.09.2014||UEFA EURO||Qualifying round||Germany||2-1||Scotland||58||0||0|
|14.10.2014||UEFA EURO||Qualifying round||Poland||2-2||Scotland||19||0||0|
|14.11.2014||UEFA EURO||Qualifying round||Scotland||1-0||Republic of Ireland||2||0||0|
|08.10.2015||UEFA EURO||Qualifying round||Scotland||2-2||Poland||74||0||0|
|11.10.2015||UEFA EURO||Qualifying round||Gibraltar||0-6||Scotland||27||0||0|
|13.08.2016||English Premier League||Crystal Palace||0-1||West Brom||90||0||0|
|20.08.2016||English Premier League||West Brom||1-2||Everton||90||0||0|
|23.08.2016||English League Cup||Second round||Northampton||2-2|
|28.08.2016||English Premier League||West Brom||0-0||Middlesbrough||90||0||0|
|04.09.2016||FIFA World Cup||Qualifying round||Malta||1-5||Scotland||90||0||0|
|10.09.2016||English Premier League||Bournemouth||1-0||West Brom||72||0||0|
|17.09.2016||English Premier League||West Brom||4-2||West Ham||90||0||0|
|24.09.2016||English Premier League||Stoke||1-1||West Brom||90||0||0|
|01.10.2016||English Premier League||Sunderland||1-1||West Brom||90||0||0|
|08.10.2016||FIFA World Cup||Qualifying round||Scotland||1-1||Lithuania||45||0||0|
|11.10.2016||FIFA World Cup||Qualifying round||Slovakia||3-0||Scotland||64||0||0|
|15.10.2016||English Premier League||West Brom||1-1||Tottenham||90||0||0|
|22.10.2016||English Premier League||Liverpool||2-1||West Brom||90||0||0|
|29.10.2016||English Premier League||West Brom||0-4||Man. City||51||0||0|
|06.11.2016||English Premier League||Leicester||1-2||West Brom||90||0||0|
|11.11.2016||FIFA World Cup||Qualifying round||England||3-0||Scotland||90||0||0|
|21.11.2016||English Premier League||West Brom||4-0||Burnley||90||1||0|
|26.11.2016||English Premier League||Hull||1-1||West Brom||64||0||0|
|UEFA Champions League|
|UEFA Super Cup|