A member of Spain's triumphant UEFA EURO 2008 squad, Fernando Navarro is a strong, committed left-back who can also play in the centre of defence or midfield. The former FC Barcelona player has proved to be a useful acquisition for Sevilla FC.
• Barcelona-born, he came up through the youth system at Camp Nou, making Liga debut as a substitute against RC Deportivo La Coruña in October 2001.
• Started first seven matches of Barça's 2002/03 UEFA Champions League campaign but missed rest of season after sustaining serious knee injury; returned to action on loan at Albacete Balompié but unwanted back in Barcelona and farmed out again, in 2005/06, to RCD Mallorca.
• Revived career at the island club, agreeing permanent deal and missing only eight league games over a three-year spell, during which he won his first two caps for Spain, the second of them at UEFA EURO 2008 – in final group game against Greece.
• Moved to Sevilla in June 2008 for €5m and established himself quickly as team's first-choice left-back, making 31 league appearances and five in the UEFA Cup.
• Played every minute of 2009/10 UEFA Champions League group stage as Sevilla finished top of their group.
Did you know?
Navarro received 15 yellow cards in the Liga during his first season at Sevilla.
©UEFA.com 1998-2014. All rights reserved.
|UEFA Champions League|
|UEFA Super Cup|
|UEFA Europa League|