An agile goalkeeper who started six of Greece's ten UEFA EURO 2012 qualifiers, conceding just three goals, Michalis Sifakis will hope to fend off strong competition for the No1 jersey at the finals. Formerly with OFI Crete FC, he has developed his game over the past four seasons with Aris Thessaloniki FC.
• Born in Crete, he joined the youth ranks of the island's biggest club, OFI, at the age of 15 and progressed to the senior side, making his debut in the 2002/03 season.
• Became first choice between the posts two seasons later and was ever-present in the Greek Super League throughout the 2005/06 and 2006/07 campaigns.
• Went on loan to Olympiacos FC in 2007/08 but unable to oust the legendary Antonios Nikopolidis and made just two league appearances and none in Europe as the Piraeus club reached the last 16 of the UEFA Champions League.
• Joined Aris from OFI in 2008 and was soon installed as the club's No1; won his first cap for Greece in a FIFA World Cup qualifier against Luxembourg on 14 October 2009 and went to the 2010 finals in South Africa but did not make an appearance.
• Raised his profile with some outstanding performances in the 2010/11 UEFA Europa League, keeping clean sheets in five successive home games, the last of them against Manchester City FC, as Aris maintained their long unbeaten record in Salonika in UEFA competition.
©UEFA.com 1998-2016. All rights reserved.
|UEFA Europa League|