An outstanding performance for Russia at UEFA EURO 2008, where he scored three goals, helped to earn Roman Pavlyuchenko a big-money move from FC Spartak Moskva to Tottenham Hotspur FC. The tall, blond striker is now back in Russia, having joined FC Lokomotiv Moskva after three and a half years of mixed fortunes in London.
• Started out with his local club FC Dynamo Stavropol in the Russian second division before moving to top-flight FC Rotor Volgograd in 2000; became a Russian Under-21 international during his three-year spell in Volgograd, but the goals only started to flow once he joined Spartak in 2003.
• Scored ten goals in his debut Premier-Liga season and reached double figures in each of next four, topping the division's scoring charts with 18 in 2006 and sharing the prize, on 14 goals, with FC Moskva's Roman Adamov in 2007.
• A league runner-up with Spartak three years in succession, his only major honour with the club came shortly after his arrival – a Russian Cup success in June 2003; won his first senior international cap two months later but was not recalled for another two years.
• Came to the fore internationally with the two goals that enabled Russia to defeat England 2-1 in a decisive UEFA EURO 2008 qualifier; added another three goals at the finals – against Spain, Sweden and the Netherlands – which earned himself recognition in the UEFA Team of Tournament and a lucrative move to Tottenham.
• In and out of Spurs' starting XI during his first three seasons but a consistent scorer of important goals, including three in the 2010/11 UEFA Champions League group stage.
• Moved to Lokomotiv in January 2012 in a bid for more regular playing time ahead of UEFA EURO 2012.
UEFA EURO 2008: Team of the Tournament
©UEFA.com 1998-2015. All rights reserved.
|The home team is listed first.||Last updated: 04/08/2015 02:03 CET|
|29.10.2014||Russian Cup||Sixth round||Ufa||0-1||Lokomotiv Moskva||90||0||0|
|21.05.2015||Russian Cup||Final||Lokomotiv Moskva||3-1||Kuban||120||0||0|
|20.07.2015||Russian Premier League||Kuban||0-2||Ural||25||0||0|
|31.07.2015||Russian Premier League||Kuban||1-1||Ufa||90||0||0|
|UEFA Champions League|
|UEFA Europa League|
|UEFA Intertoto Cup|