Clubs: Cruzeiro EC, AFC Ajax, Empoli FC, FC Internazionale Milano, FC Barcelona, Paris Saint-Germain FC
• Started out in Brazil with Cruzeiro but moved to Europe aged 19, joining Ajax after impressing in an international youth tournament.
• Left-back won the Dutch double in his first season and played a starring role in Ajax's 2003/04 Eredivisie title triumph, making 31 appearances, scoring twice and winning the Golden Shoe as the Netherlands' footballer of the year.
• Ajax career ended prematurely after sustaining a serious knee injury in a Dutch Cup semi-final against Willem II in April 2005. Made no further appearances for the club before departing in 2006, initially to Empoli then Inter.
• Won the Scudetto in each of his three seasons with Inter, accumulating 79 Serie A appearances and scoring two goals; periodically deployed as a midfielder/winger by Roberto Mancini and José Mourinho.
• Joined European champions Barça in July 2009 on a five-year contract for a fee of €5m − scored his first goal for the Azulgrana in a Copa del Rey encounter with AD Ceuta (2-0) on 26 October 2010.
• Played seven times in Barcelona's victorious UEFA Champions League campaign of 2010/11 before making the move to Paris Saint-Germain FC in January 2012.
• Swiftly became a mainstay in Paris, helping the side to second place in Ligue 1 during his first season, and to a first title since 1994 in 2012/13 as well as a place in the UEFA Champions League quarter-finals.
UEFA Champions League: winner 2011
UEFA Super Cup: winner 2009, 2011
©UEFA.com 1998-2016. All rights reserved.
|UEFA Champions League|
|UEFA Europa League|