Although he has blown hot and cold at international level with Portugal, Danny enjoys superstar status in Russia, where he won both domestic trophies in 2010 with FC Zenit St Petersburg and was also named the Premier-Liga player of the year. A refined technician, he has the skill and vision to unlock any defence.
• Born to Portuguese parents in the Venezuelan capital of Caracas, Danny moved to Madeira at a young age and developed his footballing talent at local club CS Marítimo.
• After scoring five goals in 20 games in his debut Liga campaign for the islanders, he moved to Lisbon to join Sporting Clube de Portugal but was immediately dispatched back to Madeira on loan, remaining there for 18 months.
• Back at Sporting for the 2004/05 season, he struggled once again to make an impact and was transferred mid-campaign to FC Dinamo Moskva, where, playing alongside several other Portuguese imports, he was to make the most favourable impression.
• Went on to score 16 goals in 97 Premier-Liga appearances for Dinamo before switching his allegiance to Zenit in August 2008 for a fee of €30m.
• Scored the winner and named man of the match on his debut against Manchester United FC in the UEFA Super Cup – nine days after making his first appearance for Portugal, in a friendly against the Faroe Islands – and struck twice in his maiden UEFA Champions League campaign, his first goal coming against Real Madrid CF.
• Suffered serious ligament damage to his right knee in May 2009 but returned in style the following year, inspiring Zenit to a domestic double despite a disappointing summer interlude with Portugal at the FIFA World Cup.
• Had inspired Zenit to a six-point lead in the transitional 18-month 2011/12 campaign when he tore the anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee at a winter training camp in Florence, an injury which ruled him out of UEFA EURO 2012.
UEFA Super Cup: winner 2008
©UEFA.com 1998-2014. All rights reserved.
|The home team is listed first.||Last updated: 10/03/2014 08:10 CET|
|06.02.2013||Friendlies 2010-12||First round||Portugal||2-3||Ecuador||10||0||0|
|26.03.2013||FIFA World Cup||Qualifying round||Azerbaijan||0-2||Portugal||73||0||0|
|17.07.2013||Russian Premier League||Krasnodar||1-2||Zenit||90||1||0|
|21.07.2013||Russian Premier League||Rubin||2-1||Zenit||90||1||0|
|26.07.2013||Russian Premier League||Zenit||1-1||Kuban||90||0||0|
|30.07.2013||UEFA Champions League||Third qualifying round||Nordsjælland||0-1||Zenit||90||0||0|
|03.08.2013||Russian Premier League||Volga||1-3||Zenit||90||3||0|
|07.08.2013||UEFA Champions League||Third qualifying round||Zenit||5-0||Nordsjælland||90||1||0|
|14.08.2013||Friendlies 2010-12||First round||Portugal||1-1||Netherlands||64||0||0|
|17.08.2013||Russian Premier League||Zenit||3-0||Anji||90||0||1|
|20.08.2013||UEFA Champions League||Play-offs||Paços Ferreira||1-4||Zenit||80||0||2|
|24.08.2013||Russian Premier League||Dinamo Moskva||1-1||Zenit||90||0||0|
|28.08.2013||UEFA Champions League||Play-offs||Zenit||4-2||Paços Ferreira||73||2||0|
|01.09.2013||Russian Premier League||Zenit||2-1||Lokomotiv Moskva||90||0||1|
|14.09.2013||Russian Premier League||Zenit||2-0||Terek||75||1||0|
|22.09.2013||Russian Premier League||Rostov||0-4||Zenit||90||1||2|
|25.09.2013||Russian Premier League||Krylya Sovetov||1-4||Zenit||90||0||0|
|28.09.2013||Russian Premier League||Zenit||4-2||Spartak Moskva||90||1||2|
|06.10.2013||Russian Premier League||Tom||0-3||Zenit||80||1||1|
|18.10.2013||Russian Premier League||Zenit||2-0||CSKA Moskva||87||0||0|
|26.10.2013||Russian Premier League||Ural||1-2||Zenit||82||0||0|
|02.11.2013||Russian Premier League||Zenit||1-1||Amkar||90||1||0|
|06.11.2013||UEFA Champions League||Group stage||Zenit||1-1||Porto||28||0||0|
|09.03.2014||Russian Premier League||Zenit||0-0||Tom||16||0||0|
|UEFA Champions League|
|UEFA Super Cup|
|UEFA Europa League|