Signed by ACF Fiorentina in summer 2009, Cesare Natali joined the Viola after spells at four other Serie A clubs. A former Italian Under-21 international, he is a tall, imposing centre-back who is good in the air.
• Born in Bergamo, he started his career with local club Atalanta BC but had to wait until after loan spells at lower-league Calcio Lecco 1912 and AC Monza Brianza 1912 before making Serie A debut in December 2001 at Torino FC (2-1).
• Played for Italy at 2002 UEFA European Under-21 Championship finals and established top-flight credentials at Atalanta in 2002/03, making 27 league appearances and scoring first Serie A goal – also against Torino – but unable to save club from relegation.
• Joined Bologna FC in 2003/04 but returned to Atalanta after their immediate promotion and suffered another relegation with the Bergamo club, prompting transfer to Udinese Calcio.
• Scored in UEFA Champions League qualifier against Sporting Clube de Portugal, taking Udinese into 2005/06 group phase, but suffered serious injury on Matchday 2 against FC Barcelona at Camp Nou that ruled him out of remainder of competition.
• Left Udinese for Torino in 2007 and joined Fiorentina on three-year contract in July 2009; struggled to impose himself with the Viola, his only UEFA Champions League group-stage start coming in final fixture against Liverpool FC at Anfield (2-1).
Did you know?
When Natali joined Fiorentina, he had accumulated precisely 200 Serie A appearances with his previous clubs.
©UEFA.com 1998-2017. All rights reserved.
|UEFA Champions League|
|UEFA Europa League|