Clubs: Genoa CFC, Juventus, Genoa CFC, FC Zenit
• Left the south of Italy for the north in his early teens to launch his career with Genoa CFC and made his Serie B debut at 16 before establishing himself as a regular in central defence four years later following a two-year spell as a youth player at Juventus.
• Joined the Juventus first team in 2007/08 following the club's return to Serie A and made his top-flight debut in a 5-1 win against AS Livorno Calcio on 25 August 2007, but failed to command a regular berth in Claudio Ranieri's side and was released back to Genoa on loan midway through the campaign.
• Prospered at Genoa as a left-back, making his UEFA club competition debut in the 2009/10 UEFA Europa League and also breaking into the senior Italy squad that season.
• Having represented Italy at the UEFA European Under-21 Championship finals of 2007 and 2009 and the 2008 Olympics in between, he made it four summer tournaments in a row by playing all three games for the Azzurri at the 2010 World Cup in South Africa.
• After 116 Serie A appearances and five goals for Genoa he left to join Italian coach Luciano Spalletti at Zenit for a fee of €11m; started all six UEFA Champions League group games for the Russian club as they advanced into the knockout phase.
• Called up to the Italy squad for UEFA EURO 2012, but was forced to drop out ahead of the tournament.
©UEFA.com 1998-2014. All rights reserved.
|The home team is listed first.||Last updated: 21/08/2014 01:11 CET|
|12.10.2012||FIFA World Cup||Qualifying round||Armenia||1-3||Italy||90||0||0|
|05.03.2014||Friendlies 2014-16||First round||Spain||1-0||Italy||46||0||0|
|02.08.2014||Russian Premier League||Arsenal Tula||0-4||Zenit||90||2||0|
|09.08.2014||Russian Premier League||Zenit||8-1||Torpedo Moskva||90||0||0|
|13.08.2014||Russian Premier League||Ural||1-2||Zenit||90||0||0|
|16.08.2014||Russian Premier League||Zenit||1-0||Ufa||90||0||0|
|UEFA Champions League|
|UEFA Europa League|