Clubs: RC Lens, Tottenham Hotspur FC
• Born in the northern French town of Arras, Assou-Ekotto joined local club Lens as a schoolboy and went on to make his first-team debut late in 2003/04, becoming the team's first-choice left-back the following season.
• Competed for Lens in the 2005/06 UEFA Cup and helped Les Sang et Orto to a fourth-place finish in Ligue 1; his growing reputation led to a move to Tottenham and a new career in the English Premier League.
• Initially struggled to adapt to the demands of the English game and made just two appearances in an injury-disrupted 2007/08 campaign, but came good under Harry Redknapp and replaced Gareth Bale at left-back; scored his first Spurs goal on the opening day of 2009/10 in a 2-1 home win against Liverpool FC.
• Chose to represent the land of his paternal ancestors, Cameroon, in favour of his native France and made his international debut for the Indomitable Lions in February 2009 against Guinea; missed the 2010 Africa Cup of Nations due to injury but played all three matches for Cameroon at the FIFA World Cup later that year.
• Played from start to finish in all six group games in the 2010/11 UEFA Champions League – the only Tottenham player to do so.
©UEFA.com 1998-2014. All rights reserved.
|UEFA Champions League|
|UEFA Europa League|
|UEFA Intertoto Cup|