Clubs: Olympique de Marseille, Arsenal FC, AC Milan
UEFA Champions League: runner-up 2006
UEFA Cup: runner-up 2004
• An energetic midfielder who came through the ranks of local club Marseille, he made his first-team debut in December 2003 and starred in the team's run to the 2004 UEFA Cup final (nine appearances).
• Joined Arsenal in July 2004 after a contract dispute with Marseille, having played 14 league games for the Ligue 1 club; served as a utility player and was unused in the 2005 FA Cup final victory over Manchester United FC.
• Came to prominence as an emergency left-back as the Gunners reached the 2006 UEFA Champions League final, starting every knockout game in that position until the final itself against Barcelona, in which he was a substitute for Cesc Fàbregas.
• Made his breakthrough in 2007/08, starting 30 Premier League and seven UEFA Champions League games and winning his first France caps; was pre-selected for UEFA EURO 2008 but failed to make the final 23-man squad.
• Announced he was moving to Milan before the 2007/08 season had finished; appeared 29 times in Serie A during his first season and made his UEFA Champions League debut for the Diavolo in a 2-1 win at Marseille on Matchday 1 of the 2009/10 group stage.
©UEFA.com 1998-2014. All rights reserved.
|UEFA Champions League|
|UEFA Europa League|