Clubs: Hertha BSC Berlin, Tottenham Hotspur FC, Borussia Dortmund (loan), Portsmouth FC, Genoa CFC, AC Milan, FC Schalke 04
• Born to a German mother and a Ghanaian father, Boateng came through the youth ranks at Hertha and made his first-team debut as an 18-year-old in August 2005.
• Memorably scored from inside the centre circle at the 2005 UEFA European Under-19 Championship, in a 3–0 win against Greece; represented Germany at every youth level from Under-15s to Under-21s, winning the prestigious Fritz Walter Gold Medal in the U19 category.
• Moved to Tottenham in summer 2007 but made just 14 appearances for the Premier League club and was loaned out to Dortmund in January 2009.
• Signed for Portsmouth the following August and proved instrumental in their FA Cup run, scoring an extra-time penalty in the semi-final defeat of his former team, Spurs (2-0), but having a spot-kick saved in the final against Chelsea FC (0-1).
• Officially switched his international allegiance to Ghana in May 2010 and made his debut for the Black Stars soon after in a friendly against Latvia (1-0) before featuring four times at the FIFA World Cup, where he scored in the second round versus the United States (2-1).
• Signed by Genoa in August 2010 but was swiftly loaned to Milan in an arrangement that was later switched to a co-ownership deal; made an immediate impact at San Siro, playing in all six UEFA Champions League group matches and scoring two league goals before the winter break.
• Made himself a vital cog at San Siro in 2011/12, scoring five Serie A goals, including a hat-trick in the 4-3 comeback win against US Lecce, as well as three in seven appearances in the run to the UEFA Champions League quarter-finals.
• Scored what appeared to be a key goal in the 2012/13 round of 16 first-leg win against FC Barcelona, before the Catalans overturned the 2-0 scoreline in the second leg.
• Helped Milan into the 2013/14 group stage, scoring twice in a play-off success against PSV Eindhoven, before transferring to Schalke in August, signing a four-year contract and scoring in his first UEFA Champions League outing for the club in a 3-0 win against FC Steaua Bucureşti.
©UEFA.com 1998-2016. All rights reserved.
|UEFA Champions League|
|UEFA Europa League|
|UEFA Intertoto Cup|