Eljero Elia came off the bench in six of the Netherlands' seven matches at the 2010 FIFA World Cup, and the tricky winger looks set to fill a similar role at UEFA EURO 2012 having been used as a substitute in seven of his eight qualifying appearances. He has made little impact at Juventus following his move to Turin last summer.
• Catapulted into the ADO Den Haag first team at 17, he made steady progress at the club during the 2005/06 and 2006/07 seasons but was unable to prevent their relegation from the Eredivisie in the latter.
• Switched to FC Twente and enjoyed a debut campaign full of promise, which he fulfilled in spectacular style the following season, starting all 34 Eredivsie matches and scoring nine goals to help the Enschede club finish runners-up in both domestic competitions under Steve McClaren.
• Voted Dutch Talent of the Year in the spring of 2009, he received a belated first international cap that September − but not until after he had left his homeland for Hamburger SV in a €9m move.
• Scored the winning goal for the Oranje on his first competitive outing − a World Cup qualifier against Scotland in Glasgow − and proved a useful impact sub at the finals in South Africa.
• Scored seven goals in 48 Bundesliga appearances for Hamburg before leaving in another €9m transfer, this time to Juventus, at the end of the summer 2011 transfer window; struggled, however, to get a game during the first half of the 2011/12 season.
©UEFA.com 1998-2013. All rights reserved.
|The home team is listed first.||Last updated: 11/12/2013 02:50 CET|
|16.10.2012||FIFA World Cup||Qualifying round||Romania||1-4||Netherlands||1||0||0|
|14.11.2012||Friendlies 2010-12||First round||Netherlands||0-0||Germany||44||0||0|
|14.09.2013||German Bundesliga||Bremen||0-3||Eintracht Frankfurt||90||0||0|
|UEFA Champions League|
|UEFA Europa League|