Clubs: Manchester City FC, Darlington FC (loan), Bury FC (loan), Falkirk FC (loan), Cardiff City FC (loan), Coventry City FC (loan), Notts County FC, Leeds United AFC, Leicester City FC
• Born in Copenhagen but spent most of his childhood in England while his father, legendary Denmark and Manchester United FC goalkeeper Peter Schmeichel, was playing in the Premier League and in 2002 signed forms with Manchester City FC, where Peter was ending his career.
• His first experience of league football came in 2005/06 during a loan spell at Darlington FC; there were further temporary stints at Bury FC and Scottish Premier League club Falkirk FC before he made his Premier League debut with Manchester City on 11 August 2007 against West Ham United FC.
• Started the first seven league games for City in 2007/08 under manager Sven Göran Eriksson, keeping four clean sheets, but lost his place to Andreas Isaksson and Joe Hart and returned to the loan circuit, with Cardiff City FC and Coventry City FC; back at City in 2008/09, during which he made his European debut in a UEFA Cup group game in Santander against Real Racing Club (1-3) – it proved to be his last appearance for the club.
• Rejoined Eriksson at fourth-tier club Notts County FC and performed sufficiently well to earn a transfer to Championship side Leeds United AFC a year later; in 2011 he was back with Eriksson at Leicester City FC, where he enjoyed an excellent season, starting all 46 league games and being voted the club's player of the year.
• A Danish Under-21 international on 17 occasions, he had yet to play a senior international for his country when he was included by Morten Olsen in the UEFA EURO 2012 squad due to an injury to Thomas Sørensen.
• Made his senior debut for Denmark in February 2013 against the Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia.
©UEFA.com 1998-2014. All rights reserved.
|UEFA Europa League|