Clubs: US Boulogne, Olympique Alès, Stade Brestois 29, FC Metz, Galatasaray AŞ, Olympique de Marseille, FC Bayern München
• A disjointed start to his club career concluded with half a season at Galatasaray, for whom he failed to register in the league but opened the scoring in the 2005 Turkish Cup final – a 5-1 win against Istanbul rivals Fenerbahçe SK.
• Uncapped until a fortnight before the 2006 FIFA World Cup, he made his first international start in France's opener against Switzerland, then scored his maiden goal in the last-16 encounter with Spain and retained his place through to the final.
• Joined Bayern from Marseille in 2007 for a club-record fee of €25m and inspired the Bavarians to a domestic double of Bundesliga and German Cup, winning the German footballer of the year crown as a result.
• Badly injured his left ankle against Italy at UEFA EURO 2008 and was out of action again in autumn 2009 with tendonitis, but made his comeback in January and played a key role in Bayern's Bundesliga and German Cup successes, scoring in the final of the latter competition against SV Werder Bremen.
• Suspended for the 2010 UEFA Champions League final – which Bayern lost to FC Internazionale Milano – having been sent off in the semi-final first leg against Olympique Lyonnais, he endured more disappointment two years later on home soil when Jupp Heynckes' team lost to Chelsea FC on penalties.
• Had a role in both of Bayern's goals in their 2-1 victory against Borussia Dortmund in the 2013 UEFA Champions League final.
UEFA Champions League: runner-up 2010, 2012; winner 2013
UEFA.com users' Team of the Year: 2008, 2013
©UEFA.com 1998-2016. All rights reserved.
|UEFA Champions League|
|UEFA Super Cup|
|UEFA Europa League|
|UEFA Intertoto Cup|